100 Stones Interactive
Based in Melbourne, Australia
19 July, 2016
The Eyes of Ara is a game about exploration, discovery, and the pursuit of knowledge in the face of fear and intimidation. Set in a remote and supposedly abandoned castle, the player is tasked with discovering the source of a mysterious radio signal emanating from somewhere inside. As they explore the castle players will come to learn the stories of the previous residents, and through exploration and investigation, begin to piece together the history of what happened there. Ultimately it is up to the player to separate the fact from the fiction and, if they are wise enough, uncover a long hidden secret. The Eyes of Ara is a puzzle adventure game for PC and Mac.
Development on The Eyes of Ara began in late 2013. After working on largely action titles throughout his career, Ben desired to take a different approach for his studio’s first title. Leveraging his background as an Environment Artist, Ben set out to design a game in which the environment itself was the primary character. The Eyes of Ara seek to captivate the player through beautiful, engaging environments, with the goal of telling a story organically through exploration and discovery of the game world. New Zealand composer Matt Caradus was contracted to provide the game’s score, and local Australian audio studio The Otherworld Agency was brought on board to provide the sound design. But as the sole developer at his one-man studio, Ben was responsible for everything else including concept, design, art and code. The Eyes of Ara was announced to the world through a successful Kickstarter campaign in June of 2015, and launched on PC and Mac on July 19th, 2016. A critical success, The Eyes of Ara has received overwhelmingly positive reviews and multiple awards and nominations.
- Immersive Environments and Organic Storytelling. Delve into an intriguing tale set within a richly detailed, immersive environment. Explore abandoned rooms, discover lost writings, and recover forgotten keepsakes to piece together the stories of those who once called the castle home.
- Countless secrets to discover. Weave your way through a complex web of puzzles to unlock the castle’s ultimate truth... or choose your own path. The Eyes of Ara does not hold your hand: Go in search of secret vaults and hidden passageways, locate all of the lost keepsakes, or entwine yourself in the history of the castle and its former occupants.
- Tactile Gameplay. Manipulate complex mechanisms, solve elaborate puzzles, and interact directly with the environment in a tactile, hands-on experience.
- Minimalist Interface . Investigate the castle’s secrets through a sleek, minimalist interface that with a click, can be hidden entirely off-screen.
- Multiple Languages Supported: Play in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Brazilian-Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- The Eyes of Ara is a game about exploration, puzzle solving, and discovery. Will you pay heed to the unsettling tales and legends surrounding the castle, or will you set fear aside and venture in with an open and inquisitive mind to uncover the truth for yourself?
Logo & Icon
- "Winner: Best Game (PC/Mac)" The Eyes of Ara, Planete Aventure, Golden PA Awards, 2017
- "Winner: Best Puzzles" The Eyes of Ara, Planete Aventure, Golden PA Awards, 2017
- "Winner: Best French Localization" The Eyes of Ara, Planete Aventure, Golden PA Awards, 2017
- "Winner: Australian Indie Showcase" The Eyes of Ara, PAX Aus, 2016
- "Nominee: Excellence in Art" The Eyes of Ara, Australian Game Developer Awards, 2016
- "Made With Unity Showcase" The Eyes of Ara, Unite Melbourne, 2016
- "Winner: Best Style" The Eyes of Ara, Haogamers Western Indie Awards, 2016
- "AVSN Award" The Eyes of Ara, 96%, adventurespiele.net
- "Nominee: Best Gameroom Game" The Eyes of Ara, Facebook Game of the Year Awards, 2017
- "The Eyes of Ara offers rewarding challenges, an intriguing atmosphere, and a beautiful environment. While players may find the steep climb in difficulty a bit unnerving, the gorgeous set dressing and comprehensive plot make the struggle worth it. With only a few minor issues, The Eyes of Ara stands to be one of the best indie games of the summer."
- 90%, Gizorama
- "The Eyes of Ara succeeds in providing just the right balance of difficulty in its puzzles while expertly weaving them into the environment."
- 85%, RPG Fan
- "The Eyes of Ara is a very impressive piece of work, presenting a series of puzzles so fiendish and intricate that it's hard not to be intimidated by the mind from which they sprang."
- 80%, Game Informer Magazine
- "The Eyes of Ara is a polished title"
- 80%, Pixel Pop Network
- "If you are looking for a challenging and immersive experience that provides several hours of gameplay, The Eyes of Ara is your game. It’s one of the few games that makes earning all of the Steam achievements worth it."
- 80%, Only Single Player
- "Each scene is gorgeous. The modeling and light are exquisite. The detail is wonderful. And the quality is consistent from start to finish."
- 70%, Just Adventure
- "Exploring the environment, discovering things both strange and wonderful, is genuinely fascinating"
- , IGN
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
About 100 Stones Interactive
100 Stones Interactive is an Australian based, one-man independent games studio, founded and run by Ben Droste, a veteran of the Australian games industry. Ben believes that the best games are those that explore new ideas, provide memorable experiences, and challenge our preconceptions. Games should be more than just passing entertainment, and through 100 Stones Interactive Ben strives to create games that live up to this potential.
More information on 100 Stones Interactive, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Eyes of Ara Credits
Sound Designer, The Otherworld Agency